Skip to main content

Success, Failure, and Books

I started this year with an idea, an idea that learning was going to be fun.  Even bigger, learning MATH was going to be fun.  We built towers and houses, even a website and a game.  Students asked questions, worked together, shared ideas, laughed, and learned math.  We used math vocabulary to describe what we were doing, and my students had fun.  It was first semester.

Second semester came, and with it, major changes.  I had to let go of some content and embrace a different paradigm for DAEP school.  I now supervise independent learning for some students, while teaching others.  I may have less content, but I have more record keeping (have I mentioned that I am not very good at record keeping?)  My days seem longer and I have noticed that I have fallen into the trap of "direct teaching" for an entire class period.  This new group of students gives an appearance of not wanting to fall behind, but grades for the previous semester suggest many already have.  I have caved (for a moment) to their worries, and have tried to push through curriculum ...  sometimes.  I am tired.  I am doing to much for my students and not enough with my students.  While I feel like my first semester was a success, I was feeling like my second semester was headed toward failure.

Thank goodness I caught myself.

I know how students learn.  They learn having fun, in conversations, sharing and laughing.  I know how to make time fly:  having fun, conversing, sharing, laughing.  Wow, a trend!  I am not sure why I caved in to the worries of my students, just wanting to give them my best, I suppose.  But, I am the teacher, and I have some ideas of what works.

And there are books!  I am a reader.  I write because I have read books - many, many books.  I am currently reading 3 books:  DITCH THAT HOMEWORK (Alice Keeler and Matt Miller), CODE BREAKER (Brian Aspinall), and HACKING PROJECT BASED LEARNING (Ross Cooper and Erin Murphy).  I just finished TEACH LIKE A PIRATE (Dave Burgess) and rereading EXPLORE LIKE A PIRATE (Michael Mater).  Yes, I am shamelessly plugging these books because they are changing the way I want my classroom to look and feel, they are changing the way I want to BE in the classroom.

I am also a district Quantum Learning facilitator (www.quantumlearning.com/).  Everything in these books backs up what I have come to experience as a facilitator.  I know the WHY, my books help with the HOW ... Now, I just have to BE more of who I am and take that leap of faith to DO.

What's in it for me?  Joy, a sense of accomplishment. What's in it for my students?  Joy, a sense of accomplishment, belonging, success.  What's in it for us?  Joy, teamwork, novelty, and learning together. 

Together.

We do not live in isolation.  We do not flourish alone.  We have social and emotional needs that must be met.  Yes, WE ... Teacher and Students.  And we do it, together.

So, here are my steps
1.  Know WHAT I want.
2.  Know WHY it is important
3.  Read to be inspired with some HOW to do it.
4.  Breathe, tell an accountability partner, and just DO it ... again!

I did it for a semester.  I just need to return to what works.  And since "failure leads to success", it will work again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why so long?

I have been on summer break for 2 weeks now, and without a post since February!  What happened? All I can say is, do not wait for the perfect time.  My plan was to write again over our spring break in March, when our campus was devastated by the sudden death of one of our Assistant Principals.  A coronary aneurysm burst the Friday we started spring break, and he died the next Friday.  He put up a valiant fight.  He surprised his doctors, his family, but in the end the damage was too great and he could not go on.  I could not write, and it is still hard.  I cannot imagine what it has been like for his family. Once, year 2 in my career (over 30 years ago), a coworker told me to take time when I needed to take it, that I (nor anyone for that matter) was not that singularly important to the running of the school.  She had me imagine a bucket of water, put my fist in, pull it out, and tell her about the hole that remained.  Of course, there is none.  The idea was to take time when neede

THE TROUBLE WITH FRUSTRATION

It has been 11 months since my last post.  Last year I really wanted to blog weekly:  let other educators know that they are not alone, that others have the same frustrations, and the same joys.  Even more, that out of those frustrations may COME joy.  It did not happen. I don't know.  Maybe I felt intimidated when I started reading the blogs of others, good blogs, with important things to say, and started to tell myself, "You are not that good.  Your message is not that important." Maybe more than intimidated, I just wanted to be perfect, like others are perfect, and say the exact right thing in the exact right way to make ALL my readers go WOW! Maybe I was afraid no one would read, so why bother. Then I went to a great EdCamp, and a session about blogging and podcasts and I remembered my why! (Oh, if you get a chance, find an EdCamp!  It could change your Teacher life!)  I blog to reflect for myself on what is and is not working.  I blog to allow other to see

Back in the Swing

It's hard to write.  Voices in my head (not the crazy ones) keep telling me to wait a day, who reads anyway.  And besides, you reflect just fine on your own .... humm. A few years ago, the great state of Texas decided that all students in alternative placements must keep their regular campus classes.  With that in mind, I added Spanish to my certifications.  When it all took effect it was hard to offer, let's say, all the math classes with a staff of 3 HS math teachers for about 16 different math classes in an alternative setting.  The Adaptive Behavior Center (ABC) housed with my campus also started to offer Spanish, and needed a Spanish teacher.  I started teaching a class period of Spanish to students with emotional/behavioral disorders 4 years ago along with middle and high school math classes AND Spanish at the alternative/discipline school.  Last year, my part of the DAEP was phased out, but I continued teaching Spanish to the students at the ABC and math at the alterna