Skip to main content

Why so long?

I have been on summer break for 2 weeks now, and without a post since February!  What happened?

All I can say is, do not wait for the perfect time.  My plan was to write again over our spring break in March, when our campus was devastated by the sudden death of one of our Assistant Principals.  A coronary aneurysm burst the Friday we started spring break, and he died the next Friday.  He put up a valiant fight.  He surprised his doctors, his family, but in the end the damage was too great and he could not go on.  I could not write, and it is still hard.  I cannot imagine what it has been like for his family.

Once, year 2 in my career (over 30 years ago), a coworker told me to take time when I needed to take it, that I (nor anyone for that matter) was not that singularly important to the running of the school.  She had me imagine a bucket of water, put my fist in, pull it out, and tell her about the hole that remained.  Of course, there is none.  The idea was to take time when needed, all would be ok.

I now beg to differ with that idea.

Yes, we need to take care of ourselves, and sometimes that means taking a day off to regroup.  But we ARE important and we WILL BE MISSED.  Our AP is missed.  There was not a day that went by that I did not think about texting him about students, good and not so good.  He had a saying, "Living the Dream"  and many of my coworkers had shirts made with that.  He often told me, "We are shaping young minds."  I had a shirt made with that.  It is probably the most important thing he would remind me of.

So, that is the pause, why now did I decide to write again?

It is summer, and I will have, again, a different teaching assignment:  my most "impractical" assignment (staffing-wise) was removed from my schedule, while another, perhaps more intensive class, was added.  There will still be classes that I will not be responsible for planning, where I will be implementing the plans of others, or at least the work sent by others.  Now, however, I will again be teaching Math Models, a third year math class for students not quite ready for Algebra 2.  I must start thinking, reflecting, deciding how on how I will change what I have always done in order to be the teacher I really want to be.

So, I am reading, and reading!  I have about 10 weeks, I want to try to get  a book read every 2 weeks.  I am writing down what grabs my soul.  I am asking questions of myself and asking for help from others.  I do not just want to teach this year, I want to inspire.  By the way, I have always wanted to inspire and I believe I have been inspiring.  However, I think it has finally, after WAY too many years, dawned on me that there are specific things I can do to inspire, I do not have to just hope it happens.

So what do I know now?  How can I be more inspiring?
*Share my Passions and discover the passions of my students!
*Bring all my passionate energy to class every day.
*Talk to my students.
*Play games and have fun.
*Tell my students they matter.
*Tie student interests and passions to curriculum as much as possible.
*Find inspiring projects to replace the same old worksheets.
*Learn along with my students and get/stay excited about what I learn!

This last one has profound implications.  As a facilitator of work for upper level math classes, I often had NO IDEA of how to do what was given to students.  We looked on line TOGETHER, not for answers, but for explanations, notes, videos, anything to provide instruction.  Some students had notes, and we looked at them, and decided what would work and the students learned that their input mattered.  I danced, we laughed, and I believe they learned.

In my process of personal professional development, there are many books I am reading, or rereading:
*Ditch that Textbook - Matt Miller
*Shift This - Joy Kirr
*Future Driven - David Geurin
*Teach Like a Pirate - Dave Burgess
*Lead Like a Pirate - Shelly Burgess and Beth Houf
*Be the One For Kids - Ryan Sheehy
*Closing the Attitude Gap - Baruti K. Kafele
*Explore Like a Pirate - Michael Matera
*Code Breaker - Brian Aspinall
MORE if I have time!

I am on Twitter, participating in # chats, answering and asking questions, creating, not just consuming.  I am stretching my creative self and leading an #altedchat later this summer.  I am super excited to learn from others.

I am facilitating workshops:  Quantum Learning, Hyperdocs, Retrieval Practice.  You see, I learn as much from presenting as the participants.

And I am open and looking, looking for any ideas to spice up my classes, the learning, the teaching, the assessment, the time.  I have made a decision to be dedicated to be inspiring.  I will do all I can to be just that!




Comments

  1. Michelle, I LOVE that you're being INTENTIONAL about being inspiring. I'm with you - usually I just HOPE it happens. I'll have to make a plan of my own. Thank you for taking the time to write and click "publish"!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE TROUBLE WITH FRUSTRATION

It has been 11 months since my last post.  Last year I really wanted to blog weekly:  let other educators know that they are not alone, that others have the same frustrations, and the same joys.  Even more, that out of those frustrations may COME joy.  It did not happen. I don't know.  Maybe I felt intimidated when I started reading the blogs of others, good blogs, with important things to say, and started to tell myself, "You are not that good.  Your message is not that important." Maybe more than intimidated, I just wanted to be perfect, like others are perfect, and say the exact right thing in the exact right way to make ALL my readers go WOW! Maybe I was afraid no one would read, so why bother. Then I went to a great EdCamp, and a session about blogging and podcasts and I remembered my why! (Oh, if you get a chance, find an EdCamp!  It could change your Teacher life!)  I blog to reflect for myself on what is and is not working.  I blog to allow other to see

Back in the Swing

It's hard to write.  Voices in my head (not the crazy ones) keep telling me to wait a day, who reads anyway.  And besides, you reflect just fine on your own .... humm. A few years ago, the great state of Texas decided that all students in alternative placements must keep their regular campus classes.  With that in mind, I added Spanish to my certifications.  When it all took effect it was hard to offer, let's say, all the math classes with a staff of 3 HS math teachers for about 16 different math classes in an alternative setting.  The Adaptive Behavior Center (ABC) housed with my campus also started to offer Spanish, and needed a Spanish teacher.  I started teaching a class period of Spanish to students with emotional/behavioral disorders 4 years ago along with middle and high school math classes AND Spanish at the alternative/discipline school.  Last year, my part of the DAEP was phased out, but I continued teaching Spanish to the students at the ABC and math at the alterna