Skip to main content

It is Almost Time!

The end of summer vacation is here.  There are those of us teachers who are rested and ready to go.  There are those of us teachers who are not so rested, and ready to go.  Sadly, there are those of us teachers, rested or not, who are not ready to go.  In whichever group you find yourself, the year begins anyway, and I am going to begin it with a smile.

Smiling is so important. I am, in general, a fairly happy person.  I think I smile, a lot.  I have, unfortunately, had a few students ask why I do NOT smile.  That always makes me take a step back and think.  It always makes me wonder what is going on in my head and heart that is begin reflected in my face.  And it always makes me a bit sad.

I started this post in AUGUST, and never finished. Funny how time gets away from me like that. I do believe I started this year with a smile, and kept it going.  I made it a point to have fun at the beginning of every class and carry that fun throughout the day.  I told students and coworkers, "You matter!", and watched both blossom.  I faced major changes in my job, and while I admit, I complained for a bit, I used the CHRISTMAS break to wrap my head around it and be positive again. I did not have ANY student ask me why I was not smiling!  I feel like my students learned.  I am in a good place.

My ONE WORD for this year is CREATE.  The opposite of consume, to CREATE means I will put myself out there as a teacher, a colleague, a support, a poet, a learner.  CREATE means I will share my experience, not just absorb from others.  CREATE means that when I learn something, I will not only use it, I will make it my own, and CREATE a way to share it.

I work in Alternative Education, Discipline to be exact.  I do not have my students for very long.  But I have shared with them my one word.  I have explained that my goal is to CREATE in my classroom a community of learners.  It may be transient, but my hope is that my students will take the feeling of community and CREATE community within their own experiences.

I have read some fabulous books this past semester:  DITCH THAT TEXTBOOK (Matt Miller), DITCH THAT HOMEWORK (Matt Miller and Alice Keeler), TEACH LIKE A PIRATE (Dave Burgess), and I have more great books on my wish list.  I love what I have read.  It all meshes so perfectly with Quantum Learning and my own inner knowing of what works with students.  I am taking all of what I have read and using it to CREATE better learning experiences for my students.  This is going to be a great second semester!

I started this semester off with more students, but fewer subject areas.  I was nervous.  We spent the first week playing with robots (an Ozobot), and coding (CSFirst from Google).  There were complaints, "How is this math?"  But there was thinking:  What will the Ozobot do if we change colors?  If we give it multiple branches?  (observation and probability)  Can I change this background that was GIVEN and make it fit my likes (Basketball)?  Can I add my voice?  Can I have fun?  (Yes, Yes, and YES!!)

This week coming up will be the first week this semester that I will be dedicating most of my class time to content, to the math.  I will still be using Monday as Motivation Monday, reasons to use math in real life.  I will still be dedicating the first 15 min of class to STEM, Coding, or creative projects, so we can TALK about math.  And now I have more resources to use to CREATE even more dynamic lessons. 

I am pumped.  Second semester, bring it on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why so long?

I have been on summer break for 2 weeks now, and without a post since February!  What happened? All I can say is, do not wait for the perfect time.  My plan was to write again over our spring break in March, when our campus was devastated by the sudden death of one of our Assistant Principals.  A coronary aneurysm burst the Friday we started spring break, and he died the next Friday.  He put up a valiant fight.  He surprised his doctors, his family, but in the end the damage was too great and he could not go on.  I could not write, and it is still hard.  I cannot imagine what it has been like for his family. Once, year 2 in my career (over 30 years ago), a coworker told me to take time when I needed to take it, that I (nor anyone for that matter) was not that singularly important to the running of the school.  She had me imagine a bucket of water, put my fist in, pull it out, and tell her about the hole that remained.  Of course, there is none.  The idea was to take time when neede

THE TROUBLE WITH FRUSTRATION

It has been 11 months since my last post.  Last year I really wanted to blog weekly:  let other educators know that they are not alone, that others have the same frustrations, and the same joys.  Even more, that out of those frustrations may COME joy.  It did not happen. I don't know.  Maybe I felt intimidated when I started reading the blogs of others, good blogs, with important things to say, and started to tell myself, "You are not that good.  Your message is not that important." Maybe more than intimidated, I just wanted to be perfect, like others are perfect, and say the exact right thing in the exact right way to make ALL my readers go WOW! Maybe I was afraid no one would read, so why bother. Then I went to a great EdCamp, and a session about blogging and podcasts and I remembered my why! (Oh, if you get a chance, find an EdCamp!  It could change your Teacher life!)  I blog to reflect for myself on what is and is not working.  I blog to allow other to see

Back in the Swing

It's hard to write.  Voices in my head (not the crazy ones) keep telling me to wait a day, who reads anyway.  And besides, you reflect just fine on your own .... humm. A few years ago, the great state of Texas decided that all students in alternative placements must keep their regular campus classes.  With that in mind, I added Spanish to my certifications.  When it all took effect it was hard to offer, let's say, all the math classes with a staff of 3 HS math teachers for about 16 different math classes in an alternative setting.  The Adaptive Behavior Center (ABC) housed with my campus also started to offer Spanish, and needed a Spanish teacher.  I started teaching a class period of Spanish to students with emotional/behavioral disorders 4 years ago along with middle and high school math classes AND Spanish at the alternative/discipline school.  Last year, my part of the DAEP was phased out, but I continued teaching Spanish to the students at the ABC and math at the alterna